1 What is the Difference Between Hair Types?
When buying hair extensions, there are a couple of terms we see often like virgin hair, Remy hair, non-Remy hair, human hair and heat resistant hair, but what does it all mean?
There has been a lot of confusion about different hair types and it’s important to know what each of them means. They are all completely different in look, quality, and price. Before buying hair extensions, you should know all the basic terms and exactly what type of hair you want to avoid.
There are also many companies that are trying to trick people to spend a lot of money on low quality hair so be careful. This can seem a bit confusing at the beginning, but it’s actually very simple. You just need to know a couple of basic hair types and you’re all set!
2 100% Virgin Hair
Let’s start with the notorious virgin hair. 100% virgin hair is the most expensive hair that you can buy, but it lasts longer than any other type of hair extensions if properly taken care of
– Virgin hair must not be processed. In order to qualify as virgin hair, it has to be 100% pure. That means it can’t go through any chemical processing; it has not been permed, color treated, curled, dyed, bleached, blow-dried, steam treated or gone through any processing.
Another thing to keep in mind is that 100% virgin hair has never been mechanically processed or manipulated as well. It comes from one single donor and the cuticles still have to be intact and run in the same direction. You must meet all these requirements to be a valid 100% virgin hair manufacturer.
What’s a Cuticle?
The cuticle is an outermost part of the hair shaft. It is a hard, shingle like layer of overlapping cells. It acts as a protective barrier for the softer inner structure of the hair, including the medulla and the cortex. The cuticle is responsible for much of the mechanical strength of the hair fiber and it also represents the structure that holds the water content of the fiber. Much of the shine that makes healthy hair so attractive and beautiful is due to the cuticles. For the hair to be 100% virgin, the cuticles must be aligned, intact and the hair company should check that. However, since no-one is forcing manufacturers with any kind of standards, stores often sell fake virgin hair.
How to Catch Fake Virgin Hair Sellers?
There are five critical stages that determine the quality of virgin hair extensions.
- The collection and gathering of strands from the hair donor.
- How does the hair blend and how it’s matched to create wefts.
- Fabrication and what kind of process they use to sew the wefts.
- Sanitization and the removal of impurities from the hair.
- Another aspect is nits (see the Remy hair part below to get a better understanding). Real virgin hair suppliers remove nits without using any chemicals. It’s that simple!
These are all the questions you can ask your hair company. If the company is selling virgin hair, they should have plenty of knowledge. A respectful seller needs to ensure quality and must know the answers. Otherwise, consider it a sham.
3 Remy Hair
Some people get confused when dealing with Remy hair vs. virgin hair, especially because you sometimes we see hair marked as 100% virgin Remy hair.
– Cuticle alignment defines Remy hair. What differentiates virgin hair from Remy hair is chemical processing and cuticle alignment. Remy hair has the cuticles intact and aligned, but it may have gone through some type of steam processing, even though it might not have been dyed or permed. That makes it not 100% pure virgin hair.
The reason why cuticle alignment is so important is because if the cuticles are not aligned, the hair will tangle and mat since cuticles protect the hair. The cuticle to your hair is like skin to your body; it keeps the moisture in, it keeps the shine. After removing the cuticle, they must put silicone, which is an artificial cuticle. You can tell if hair is non-Remy after few washes. Silicone will simply wash away or be damaged.
Then you get tangling and matting. Since no one is regulating the industry, some manufacturers will mark hair that has no cuticle or even hair that has been mixed with synthetic hair so be aware when you’re purchasing your hair.
Remy hair is high quality, 100% human hair so it’s going to last you a long time. If you properly take care of extensions, they will last, and it will still look fresh months later. However, it does require some care, just like the 100% virgin hair so make sure you follow the guidelines that come with the package.
You can professionally dye high quality Remy hair if you choose to. If you want your hair extensions to last for months, have a choice of various colors and not see them tangle or mat, Remy hair is the way to go. It has a natural look and feel and it’s the best type of hair you can buy after virgin hair.
How to Catch Fake Remy Hair Sellers?
One way to test if you bought real Remy hair with the cuticles intact, is to dip your hand in water and run it down the hair. It should feel really smooth. And if you do that again, but going up, it’s going to feel kind of rough and that’s what you want. If it feels smooth going down and going up, that means the cuticles have been removed.
For removing nits, suppliers may use insecticides and then wash the hair, or they’ll use an adhesive dissolvent, but both present challenges. If you have ever experienced severe or persistent itching after installing your hair extensions or if you ever had an allergic reaction, insecticides are to blame for that.
On the other hand, dissolvent cause damage to the hair cuticles. Both methods are bad. Such practices don’t apply to real virgin or Remy hair.
4 100% Human Hair
– Remy with cuticles striped. This is hair that is 100% human and it has not been mixed with any kind of synthetic fibers or heat resistant fibers. Although it is 100% human hair like Remy is, unlike the Remy hair, 100% human hair has been chemically stripped of its cuticle. They do that so that it can be machine processed.
What’s the problem? When you strip cuticles, you’re going to get brittleness, tangling, matting, and dryness. The cuticles are an integral part of the hair and stripping it away may cause you many issues. To fix this, suppliers replace cuticles with silicone that washes away quickly. Basically, you’re left with hair that has no cuticles. Such extensions will constantly tangle and will look awful.
If it’s a higher quality 100% human hair, it can last for some time even though it was chemically treated or colored. However, it’s not going to last as long as Remy hair. If it’s low quality, be careful! Tricky producers dilute human hair with synthetics in order to lower the price. Make sure you pay attention to what you’re getting when you purchase this hair.
5 Cheap Human Hair
– The important part is lack of 100% label. This is not 100% human hair! Suppliers just mix hair with premium quality, heat resistant or other synthetic fibers. You will have some human hair but it’s not going to be the majority.
This hair is a lot cheaper than 100% human hair. Be careful with this type. You can curl and straighten extensions using hot irons, but never dye or color. Such products are usually of low quality and the only good thing about them is price. Human hair extensions are extremely cheap, but they will not last you even a month. That’s way shorter than 100% human or Remy hair will.
6 Heat Resistant Hair
– That’s synthetic hair. This leaves us with another type. Which is heat resistant hair, made from high quality synthetic fiber. Is it heat resistant? Yes. You can still use flat irons or curling irons on such extensions but up to a certain degree.
This is not human hair in any shape or form. It will resemble human hair as much as possible, but it is not. This hair will not last and it’s not a smart buying choice, unless it’s a one-time thing for carnivals. It is simply synthetic hair and it will never look like real human hair.
You can try to style heat resistant synthetic hair and use curling or flat irons, but the effects are not so good. If you need quality extensions that can be used for months and do look natural, this is the worst option.
Looking for High Quality Hair?
Please visit Airyhair store for 100% Remy human hair and free worldwide shipping.