After applying hair extensions, there comes a time when you want to or need to remove them. And like proper installation is crucial, removing extensions is very important as well. By improper removal, you may damage extensions, your natural strands, even cause shedding, breakage, and other problems.
1 When Should You Remove Hair Extensions?
Before we start going through the removal process, let’s talk about the time of removal! When do you need to remove your extensions anyway? Actually, it depends on what type of weft you have, so let’s go through each one.
Clip-in or Flip-in Style Hair Extensions
If you got clip in or flip in hair wefts, please remove them every day. You can detach clips after getting home or wear them throughout the day and remove before going to bed. That’s why clip in and flip in bundles are known as non-permanent methods.
It works great for many people, and doesn’t for others, it’s all about your habits.
Tape-in, I-Tip or Micro-Loop Hair Extensions
These extension types need to be removed or adjusted after two months. Why do that anyway? The reason why you need to remove them is because your natural strands grow and move the extensions further down.
Hair growth is what dictates adjustment or removal time. Some strands grow really slow so the extensions can stay in for longer. However, in any case, they need to come off in order to be refitted.
You don’t need to buy a new set of hair each time you reinstall if old one is still good. Just as you can apply hair yourself, you can also remove it yourself and it’s much simpler. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money at the salon, we’ve made a simple guide on how to remove each extension type with ease.
Weft, Sewn-in or U-Tip (Keratin) Hair Extensions
With the exception of glue-in extensions, Keratin and sewn-in wefts can stay in your hair longer. Recommended timeframe is 2 to 4 months, depending on hair quality. Regular U-Tips that use glue should be re-adjusted after every two months.
So, you’ve accidentally applied tape-ins or simply got bored by keratin fusion extensions, and now wondering how to remove them at home and without spending a dime? Let’s begin!
2 How to Remove Clip-In Hair Extensions?
Belonging to the non-permanent methods, clip-ins are one of the most popular options for girls around the world.
One of the biggest reasons? It’s how easy it is to put them in and remove yourself. That saves you a lot of money and trips to the salon. Although clip-ins are very easy to install and remove, it’s essential to learn how to do it right.
The Safest Way to Remove Clip-in Extensions
Timeframe: 2 to 5 Minutes
- Start with the 1 to 2 piece clip-in wefts on each side that are closer to your ears.
- Using your fingers, find the clips that hold the extensions.
- Press on the clips in order to open them.
- While holding the weft with your fingers, gently remove it from the hair.
- Repeat the same process for all the clips, from smallest to largest. As you know, smaller wefts have one or two clips, while bigger ones have three or four. Keep that in mind when removing the wefts.
- If you find any resistance or tangles, do not pull on your strands on the wefts! Gently untangle everything and then remove it, slowly.
After removal, brush your extensions and store them in a safe place.
2 How to Remove Flip-In Style Hair Extensions?
Flip-ins are even simpler to install and remove than clip-ins. Although this method is not as versatile, a lot of girls love it and use it all the time. Since this is not a permanent method, it means you will have to apply and remove the hair every day.
The Best Method to Remove Flip-in Extensions
Timeframe: 1 to 2 Minutes
- As you know, flip-in hair goes on the crown area and usually has two or more clips for more safety.
- First, find the clips and press them to open.
- Find where the string of the flip in extensions is.
- Gently take it with your fingers and pull it back from your head. That should safely remove the hair in one go. That’s it.
Comb and store your flip in extensions for later use.
3 How to Remove Tape-In Hair Extensions?
There is more than one way to remove tape-in extensuins adhesive and set your hair free. We will list three, so it is up to you to decide, which one to use.
Slowest and Safest Way to Remove Tape-in Extensions
Timeframe: 1 Hour
- Apply baby oil on the tape and leave it here for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Start peeling off the hair strands. If they won’t peel easily, apply more oil and wait.
- Repeat the procedure but be warned, your hair will be greasy for at least few days.
Fast Albeit Risky Method to Remove Tape-in Extensions
If you aren’t afraid, try using this method.
Timeframe: 10 Minutes
- Grab a bottle of nail polish remover, which is acetone free. This one will do less damage to your hair. Never use nail polisher with acetone!
- Using a sharp tool, apply few drops of nail polish remover on the sides of the tape and start peeling that edge. Once the peeling gets harder, apply more polish on the area and repeat the process.
- Stick tapes on top of one another and repeat the process.
Fastest and Safest Way to Remove Tape-in Extensions
Timeframe: 5 to 10 Minutes
- Is your hair worth more than $7.95?
- If so, then just get a pre-made solution from any hair store. That’s a special liquid designed to dissolve tape glue. Apply few drops and start peeling tapes away!
- Congratulations, you haven’t damaged your hair in a way that nail polish would have damaged.
4 How to Remove Nano I-Tip or Micro Link Hair Extensions?
Micro or nano beads are certainly a great choice when it comes to boosting your locks and are easier to remove than install. Same method applies to i-tip hair extensions.
To take your beads off, you will need pliers, and this is how to do it properly.
Removing Nano Beads or Micro Links
Timeframe: 20 to 45 Minutes
- Since there are many small beads on your head, you will need to remove them one by one.
- After you have decided where to start, find the first bead.
- Hold first strand with one hand and pliers in the other one.
- Notice beads that are now flat.
- Press with the pliers on the opposite side of bead to make them round again.
- The strand will come-off with little to no pulling.
- Simply repeat this process with all the beads and you’re done!
5 How to Remove Keratin Fusion Hair Extensions?
Now this one is much trickier, as keratin is basically a very strong (and natural) protein. Fortunately, there are still ways to do that and assuming you have some tools at your home, it will be free!
Removing Keratin Hair Extensions without Any Tools
Warning: for keratin extensions, we strongly advise you to go with the pre-made solutions, which will reduce the risk of you damaging your hair and / or skin. However, in case you don’t mind the risk, proceed with extreme caution, you have been warned!
Timeframe: 30 Minutes
- Look for 100% pure acetone. In case you need to buy it, compare price with the pre-made solution.
- Grab a pair of gloves made of butyl rubber or latex (these will break after ~10 minutes or cause allergic reactions). Other gloves will simply dissolve.
- Apply gloves and dip your fingers into acetone.
- Start gently rolling the bond with the fingers until it loosens up and falls apart.
- Repeat the procedure till all bonds are removed.
Removing Keratin Extensions the Easy Way
Timeframe: 10 to 20 Minutes
- As we’ve already said, just spend $7.95 on a quality keratin extensions remover and be done with it. You can find in hair salons. Online purchases are possible, but shipping liquid via airmail is tricky.
- Apply few drops of pre-made solution on the bonds and watch them break.
- Drop on every strand and that’s it!
6 How to Remove Glue-in or U-Tip Hair Extensions?
If your extensions are shedding and / or falling apart, it’s time to remove them. Since these are usually the longest lasting locks, removal is tricky. You can do it all on your own, but a second hand would help tremendously.
Removing Glue-in or U-Tip Extensions with Pliers
There are some gels to break down glue, but they usually don’t work that well. Here’s the fastest and safest way to remove glued-in extensions.
Timeframe: 60 to 120 Minutes
- Locate the bond between your hair and extensions. Use a mirror if necessary.
- Take pliers and squeeze the bond hard. This will start the glue breakdown process.
- If bonds don’t give in, squeeze them on the side, then roll between your fingers.
- At this point any adhesive will turn into small grains, releasing extension strands.
- Repeat this for as long as necessary. Play your favorite music to make it somewhat fun.
- That’s it! Enjoy refreshed and lighter head.
7 How to Remove Weft or Sewn-in Hair Extensions?
While weft extensions can be transformed into pretty much any hair type, it’s all about sewn-in strands here. The removal is much easier and simpler than installation, which can take hours.
Removing Sewn-in Hair Extensions Yourself
Timeframe: 10 to 20 Minutes
- Use a mirror (if you are removing yourself) or ask your friend to locate the first row of sewn-in hair.
- With small scissors, slide one edge under the very first thread and cut it.
- Cut the next one, and another one. Do not rush or you may cut your own hair.
- Keep removing layers until your hair is set free.
8 Get New Hair Extensions
Having read our guide, it could now be a time to buy a new set of hair! Maybe you’ve decided to use a different method or just want to try something new? In that case, please check AiryHair website.
We will pack and ship your hair for free, anywhere in the world :)
Oh, and you can return the hair within 30 days for a refund or free exchange.